Gwen Markham was raised in Pontiac, MI, the daughter of Oakland County’s first Executive, Daniel T. Murphy. She learned public service at an early age, following the example of her mother, father, and grandmother. A Girl Scout as a youth, she has carried public service
forward all of her life. She has chosen the Democratic party for herself because her values of fairness, women’s rights, voting rights, gun safety, and opportunity for all, are Democratic values she is proud to fight for.
She also had a distinguished career in manufacturing and engineering management, beginning at Oldsmobile in Lansing before moving out west to work for Hughes Aircraft Company in the aerospace industry. After several more years at Delco Electronics in Wisconsin, she and her family returned to Oakland County where she semi-retired and began her volunteer career in earnest.
Gwen served on the City of Novi Planning Commission two terms from 1997-2005. She was elected to Novi City Council in 2013, and served 5 years, at which time she was elected to her current position as Oakland County Commissioner. She is currently running for her 3rd 2-year
term in office.
- Board of Commissioners
- Finance Committee – Chair
Economic Growth and Infrastructure Committee
- Coordinated Zoning Committee – Chair
- Claims Review – Vice Chair
- Human Trafficking Task Force – Vice Chair
- Invasive Species Task Force – Vice Chair
- Retirement and VEBA Board
- Regional Tri-County (Oakland, Macomb, Wayne) Summit Broadband Committee – Chair
- Southeastern Michigan Council of Governments
- SEMCOG – ViceChair
- Pioneer and Historical Society Board member